We're &PROUD. We're a non-profit initiative in Yangon and we organise arts & culture events in Myanmar for the LGBTIQ community. With our events we want to create greater understanding and awareness of LGBT identities, to be part of the conversation on LGBT rights, and to create stronger linkages within the community and with the Myanmar society.
The organisations that established &PROUD in 2014 are:
- Colors Rainbow – the main LGBT rights network organisation in Myanmar. Colors Rainbow publishes online TV shows and a magazine. More at the Colors Rainbow Website.
- YG – YG events has been organising the monthly queer club night FAB in Yangon since 2013, and collaborates with &PROUD to make sure our festival is the hottest party in town! Find all the details about Yangon's only gay club night FAB on Facebook.
- Abadi Art – a cultural organisation working to promote social engaged art practise across Asia. More at the Abadi Website
Today, these organisations organisations remain involved in &PROUD, together with a bunch of committed Myanmar and International committee members, supported by volunteers and other partner organisations.
- To foster wider debate around LGBT issues, through screenings of Myanmar and Asian LGBT films and through photography exhibitions. These will take place at the main film festival and through special screenings of films in cities across Myanmar and in schools and colleges.
- The festival will create more media discussion of LGBT issues through press outreach, interviews and film screenings for journalists.
- By bringing in films from across south east Asia which reflect the diversity of LGBT lives and the political movements that are taking place in other countries the festival will expose the Myanmar LGBT community to examples of how LGBT communities are challenging discrimination and claiming their rights elsewhere in Asia and the world.
- By embedding issues around HIV into the festival program, the festival will contribute to increased knowledge of HIV in the community and understanding of HIV as one of the important issues affecting the LGBT community in Myanmar.
- To foster and support a cohort of young Myanmar LGBT film-makers through a fifth round of the Rainbow Reels workshops, who can develop film projects depicting LGBT lives in Myanmar and create positive young role models for the LGBT community.
Got something on your mind? You can contact us in Burmese or English at email@example.com
We also love a facebook message at facebook.com/andproud
Our office and community centre are at:
No 5, Shin Saw Pu Pagoda Street
Sanchaung Township, Yangon
Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/7BYhKrr1e9w